The Parade Company
The Parade Company operates exclusively for charitable and educational purposes by organizing and executing America’s Thanksgiving Parade® presented by Gardner-White and other civic events within the City of Detroit for the benefit, education and enjoyment of the residents of the State of Michigan and beyond, including the Ford Fireworks each summer.
The Parade Company needs your support to:
- Produce America’s Thanksgiving Parade® presented by Gardner-White, one of the oldest and most celebrated parades in the country.
- Build amazing floats that are witnessed by 100’s of thousands of spectators.
- Create and refurbish papier-mâché artifacts known simply as the “Big Heads.” The Big Head Corps look like walking bobble heads along the parade route with costumes celebrating silly clowns, funny animals, world cultures and celebrities.
- Provide resources for giant helium balloons such as Captain Underpants
- Involve itself in numerous local events for the benefit of young and old alike. Happenings include RiverDays, the Woodward Dream Cruise, the North American International Auto Show, Detroit Tigers events, Cornerstone School fundraisers and many more.
- Conduct tours year-round at the Studio
- Support the Ford Fireworks on the Detroit River
- Engage a team of over 2,000 volunteers who donate their time to events throughout the year and around the region.
Detroit Mounted Police Division
The Detroit Police Department’s Mounted Police Division, one of our country’s oldest, was established in 1893. At its peak, the Division had 5 barns, 80 officers and more than 60 horses. Today, DPD’s Mounted Police operate from one barn in Palmer Park and have 5 horses. The care of the horses, including feed, bedding, hay, vet and medication costs, as well as farrier services is all supported by private funds and donations.The care of the horses, including feed, hay, bedding, vet and medication cost, and Ferrier work, are paid for though private funds and donations The care of the horses, including feed, hay, bedding, vet and medication cost, and Ferrier work, are paid for though private funds and donations
The Mounted Police Division needs your support to:
- Continue the great tradition of the Detroit Mounted PoliceContinue their great tradition of service.
- Patrol 365 days a year, weather permitting.
- Look for DPD’s Mounted Police at all of Detroit’s major sporting, cultural, family events and parades.
- They also patrol Detroit’s neighborhoods, its universities, Midtown, Downtown, Eastern Market, the Riverfront, major parks and shopping centers.
- Provide demonstrations to schools, churches and other organizations.
Learn more about the Mounted Police Division by following their Facebook page at Detroit Mounted Police.
Michigan Humane is the largest and oldest animal welfare organization in the state and cares for tens of thousands of animals each year. Their mission is to end companion animal homelessness, to provide the highest quality service and compassion to the animals entrusted to their care, and to be a leader in promoting humane values.
Michigan Humane needs your support in order to:
- Provide care for tens of thousands of animals each year in southeast Michigan.
- Operate three centers for animal care in Detroit, Rochester Hills, and Westland.
- Reunite more than 1,000 lost animals with their owners each year.
- Operate a cruelty hotline staffed by professional cruelty investigators to assist animals in Detroit, Hamtramck, and Highland Park.
- Provide emergency rescue 365 days a year.
- Offer low-cost feline sterilization and provide a total of more than 13,000 spay/neuter surgeries each year to reduce pet overpopulation.
- Educate children on respect for animals, responsible animal care, and safety around animals
Find out more information on Michigan Humane at michiganhumane.org.